Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Help! Human Resource people!?

I graduated from college almost 3 yrs ago w/honors. However, my last ';real'; job on my resume was 5 yrs ago, since then I worked in nightclubs, in which I was paid mostly cash, but payroll checks as well. I absolutely do not want to include this in my work history.



I make good money, but I am very ready for a real job again. I am not interested in starting a job in the corporate world in an entry level, low paying position, therefore, I need to fill in this gap.



I have friends that own businesses that are willing to vouch for me and say I worked there, or I was considering saying that I worked freelance as a consultant, using my friends as references. I hate to lie, but I won't even get an interview for a decent job otherwise. I am worried that I would be found out during the background check. How deep do employers go into your employment history?



What other advice could you give someone in my situation?