Thursday, September 16, 2010

Have you quit your job to volunteer overseas for a year?

I am considering leaving my career for a year to move to Africa to do economic development work. I guess I am unfulfilled at work and have unintentially gotten caught up in the rat race. I feel like I need to check out for a while, and I wonder if this is a way to do so.



Has anyone done this after being 4-5 yr s out of school and working (in my case grad school) ? Not interested in people that entered the Peace Corp or Americorp immediately after undergrad. I am interested in the experiences of people that did this after working for a while. What kinds of things did you consider before you checked out? Would you change anything if you could do it again? What was the best part of the experience? The worst? I am interested in your experience and feedback. Thanks!